Tuesday, February 15, 2011

life is never boring

So I have had an interesting week. This past weekend I went with the youth group on a trip to Americus, Georgia. We stayed at Koinania Farm. Koinania was started during the civil rights movement when the south was a really harsh place for blacks to live. He went to seminary school in Louisville, Kentucky, and he knew it was his calling to minister to people in the deep south. Him and another guy dreamed up the idea, and they went down south in search of some farmland. They found the perfect spot, and they did not have the money. So they asked God why he put this idea in their heads if they could not afford it. About this time a rich lawyer heard about what they were doing and gave them the exact amount that they needed to purchase the land. God definitely took care of them. They started this farm up, and they hired whites and blacks. They paid the whites and blacks the same wage, and also let the blacks eat lunch with them. This was unheard of in the south during that time. They got a lot of heat for this. The families were shot at, a roadside fruit stand was bombed, the KKK tormented them, and the cops would never defend them. This went on for over a year, but they ended up surviving. Around this time Millard Fuller and his family moved here. If you didn't know, he started Habitat for Humanity. It started by building homes around the farm for less fortunate people in the county. It grew from there and now it is global! 
Today, Koinania is still a very peaceful christian community. The people live in houses on the farm, and they live as a very close community. They eat, pray and worship together. They divide up the work equally. The people that have real jobs even share their paycheck  equally. They divide up things according to needs. If the world was more like this, it would be a much better place. These people grow everything that they eat. They have cows, pigs and chickens. They grow every type of fruit and vegetable that you can think of. Their operation is really amazing to me. I believe in the American society, we do not know how to live in a community. It seems we are in a rush these days. What the hurry is, I am not sure. We do not slow down at all, and we are always preparing for what is ahead. These people live for the day, and it is such a beautiful thing. I wish Americans could learn to slow down and enjoy the simple things. Start living as a community. Get to know your neighbor, and share things that are in need. Love one another like you wish to be loved. This is how I want to live my life. So I am going to start focusing on this. I know I cannot be as independent as they are, I like Walmart too much. But, I want to focus on becoming more loving and living more like a community. Giving to people in need. Loving and helping everyone. I know I cannot change the world or I cannot change people by telling them this is how they should live. But, if people see me living this way, maybe they will want to change also. This is really the only way to reach the world.
We also went to Jimmy Carter's church. He taught us sunday school. Man oh man, he is such a great person. I know people have hard feelings against him, but after hearing him speak.. I have no idea how anyone could hate him. He is such a sweet man, and I learned a lot by listening to him. He was so funny. He said that he would not mind spending 40 days in the desert, because he thought that manna was probably like grits. He said that grits were the best food in the world. He told us a lot about Egypt and the current situation that is going on. I really enjoyed hearing from him. I will add some pictures later on when I get home..
love to you and all--

No comments:

Post a Comment